The Mt. Jefferson Engine House

This second engine house provides the power to lift cars for access to Summit Hill. The pond nearby serves as a reservoir for the steam engine boilers.

Once atop the mountain, our car coasts over the top, loses contact with the pushing barney car, and starts an easy downhill leg. It is a little over a mile into Summit Hill and quite a tame ride.

The Pine Street Overpass

Approaching the midpoint between the Mt. Jefferson engine house and the Summit Hill depot, our gravity-powered Switchback car bridges the road here. Constructed as a part of the Back Track in 1845, the overpass and track will be removed in 1938. The raised earthen track bed will survive until the late 1940s.

The Summit Hill Depot

Return to Switchback Home Page.

Return to the Switchback Trail Map.